Festive Cranberry & Orange Roast Chicken
- 3/4 cup fresh-squeezed orange juice from about 3 oranges
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 garlic cloves grated
- 1 thumbsized piece of fresh ginger grated
- 1 1.5 - 2 kg Steggles whole chicken at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 oranges quartered
- Sprig of rosemary
- 1 cup frozen cranberries divided see note
- 1/4 cup chicken stock
- 2 teaspoons corn flour
- 1 tablespoon water
- Pre-heat the oven to 200º C and place the rack in the lower part of the oven.
- Mix together orange juice, honey, grated ginger and garlic together in a bowl.
- Salt and pepper both the outside and the inside of the chicken. Add 1/2 the oranges, rosemary and 1/2 of the cranberries to the cavity. Tie the legs together with kitchen twine and tuck the wing tips under the body of the chicken. Place chicken in the middle of the roasting pan and add 1/2 cup chicken stock to the bottom of the pan along with the remaining cranberries and oranges. Pour the orange honey mixture over the top of the bird.
- Place in the pre-heated oven and roast for 20 minutes. Spoon pan juices on top of chicken, rotate the pan, and return to the oven to continue to bake for 20 more minutes. Repeat the process of basting the bird until the chicken registers to 75º C in the thickest part of the breast or until juices run clear, about 1 hour. Cover the chicken if the top is browning too quickly
- Remove chicken from the pan and let it rest, loosely covered with foil for 15 minutes.
- Strain the liquid from the roasting pan into a small saucepan. If you have less than 1 cup of liquid, add in more chicken stock. Bring up to a boil. Taste and adjust the seasoning gravy, reducing if not enough flavour, or adding in more stock if too salty. Whisk together corn flour and water, and add to the gravy.
- Serve the chicken with the gravy on the side.